Expressing of showing attention &
Expressing of asking for repetition
A. Expressing of Showing Attention
What do you say if you want
to show your attention to the speaker when having a conversation with others?
The following are some polite expressions that you can use:
o Did you?
o Pardon me
o What’s next?
o And then?
o Is that all?
On the other hand, if you want to get attention from
others you can say:
o Excuse me,…
o May I have your attention,
please?
o Excuse me, could I just
mention that…?
o Look!
o Listen!
o Watch!
o Attention, please!
The dialog below in an example of the use of the
expression of showing attention. Read and study!
(Suneo is listening to radio of the living room,
Nobita comes)
Nobita :
Excuse me, Suneo.
Suneo :
Yes? Ehat happened?
Ruri : Can you
turn the radio down? I want to phone Mr. Sartono
Suneo :
No problem.
Ruri : Thank
you very much.
B. Expressing of Asking Repetition
When you have a conversation
with your friend, unfortunately you miss some information that has he said.
What do you do then? You need to ask him to repeat his sentence appropriately,
don’t you? These are some polite expression you can use to ask for repetition:
o Sorry…(I can’t hear you)
o Sorry, what did you say?
o I’m sorry. I didn’t catch
what you said.
o Pardon me?
o I can’t hear you very well,
repeat please?
o Would you be louder, please?
/ Can you speak more slowly please?
o Did you say…?
o Could you repeat again,
please?
Read the dialogs and pay attention to the italicized
sentence!
1.
Anwar : What is your name?
Boni : I am Boni.
Anwar : Sorry,
can you repeat your name, please?
Boni : Boni, B-O-N-I.
Anwar : I get it.
2.
Tiara : How many
brothers do you have?
Jessy : I have three brothers.
Tiara : What?
Jessy : I have three brothers.
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar